Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Goodbye... Forever?


Today was my last day with Mrs. K's class. Words would not be enough. They were my first class. I'll always have a place in my heart for these kids.


::edit::

"Hey Mario, are you gonna miss me when I leave?"
"Uh, huh. Please don't leave!"
I laughed at his expressions and mannerisms.

"Are you gonna come back next year?"
"Well Mario, I really don't know. It's not really up to me."
"Aw, I wish you could come back."
"I really wish I could come back too. Hey Mario, will you really be my best friend?"
"Of course! As long as you're my best friend, I'll be your best friend!"
"Sounds like a good deal to me."

I sat there thinking about his promise. I thought about his understanding of relationships and the affect he had on my life. As the end of the day drew close, I couldn't help but feel a bit sadness. Mario as a child will never truly understand what it could mean for me to leave. If I don't get assigned to the school, the chances of me meeting Mario ever again would be slim to none. The concept is hard to grasp for children, but as adults, we accept this day to day. From a kids perspective, time is not an issue.

As I said my goodbyes, the children took their turns to hug me one by one. Each one giving me a piece of their heart, and the memories I would have of them. As Mario was one of the last of the remaining, I couldn't help but feel my emotions stir when he spoke.

"Bye, I'll see you later!"

Later, I hope to see you later. You have so much to do, so much to see Mario. I hope one day we will meet again, and maybe you'll remember our promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment